Fantastic! A parent letter is a valid referral. As soon as you receive the letter you should:
1. Write or stamp the date you received the letter on it
2. Write the parent's name, address, and phone number on the letter.
3. Write the student's name, ID number, and school on the letter.
4. Make the student "Special Ed YES" in Genesis. It will take 24 hours to update the student into Easy IEP.
a. Log onto Genesis using your own username and password.
b. In the "Schools" field, delete the number 01.
c. Enter either the student's first and last names in the name fields, or the Student ID in the Student ID field and click "Search."
d. Click the blue student ID number next to the student's name.
e. Look at the blue tabs and click the one that says "Special Ed."
f. At the bottom of the page, you will see "Designated Special Ed" with Yes and No buttons. Choose "Yes" and click "Save."
g. Click the button that says "Enter Reevaluation Data."
- If this is a new referral, fill in the date of the referral in line 49. Click SAVE.
- If this is an intake of a previously classified student, fill in the latest reevaluation date in line 56. Change the Evaluation Status to "In Process." Click SAVE.
h. It will take 24 hours for this change to take effect and for the student's name to appear in Easy IEP. Once the student appears in Easy IEP, pull up that student and click on "Date Snapshot." Enter the referral date in the appropriate area. Click "Update the Database."
5. (After 24 hours) Print an Easy IEP "Easy Fax - Referral Cover Page."
6. Fax the cover page and the parent letter to 1-866-920-6173
7. Make a copy of the letter for yourself and send the original via Board Mail to:
Front and Cooper
Have you done this?
The parent wrote a letter but I know this student, and I know he doesn't need to be tested. Can't I just tell the parent no?
NJAC 6A:14-3.3(d)1 says: The parent may make a written request for an evaluation to determine eligibility for services under this chapter. Such a request shall be considered a referral and shall be forwarded without delay to the child study team for consideration.
If you notice incorrect information, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a description of the problem and a link to the exact page.
by Kristin Patterson-Maas, MS CCC-SLP All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced, in any form, without written permission from the author.